Saturday, May 19, 2012

I'm Goin' Home


I'm goin' home . . . to a place where I belong.
Chris took me to the airport early this morning and put me on a plane for
 home so that I could attend Courtney's high school graduation.  I received
permission to go home and take part in this once in a lifetime celebration
by writing an email to the general authority over us.  It meant a great
 deal to me to be a part of this very special event in Courtney's life.
And let's face it, she needs her Mother by her side, especially if
Dad can't be there.
I hate to fly, it is probably one of my least favorite things to do,
and this would be my very first time flying alone.  The flights
were not bad, pretty uneventful.  So to make up for that, I
was delayed in Minneapolis for several hours.   They boarded
our plane right on time, then before we could taxi out,
they came on the PA system and told us there was a technical
problem with the plane and we would not be able to take off.
They made us all get off the plane, half the people that had 
connections were sent down the hallway to see if they could
get on another flight.  As for the rest of us, they moved us across
the hall to another gate and told us they were working on getting
another plane.  I thought to myself, yeah right, they just have
planes sitting around.  I thought there is no way I am going to
make it home in time to go to dinner with my family.  I had Bart
set up a dinner with Mom and my siblings, because I felt so bad
that I had missed out on Mom's 80th birthday.  So Bart arranged
everything and made reservations at Maddox.  So I sat stranded 
in Minnesota, don't ya know, missing my Maddox dinner.

But I guess they actually do have extra planes sitting around in the hangers.  
And sure enough within an hour, they pulled up another plane to our gate, 
got the flight crew on and started boarding the passengers again.
Believe it or not, we were on our way to Salt Lake City.
I had some really nice conversations with people going home to 
Utah, it is so nice to be amongst people that know what I'm all about.
Brad and Heather were to pick me up at the airport, I landed, rushed to
get my luggage and called them to pull up and get me.  Reservations
were at 7:00, it was almost 6:00, there was no way I was going to make
Perry in under 60 minutes.  But with Brad's safe but speedy driving,
they delivered me just in time, they hadn't even been called to their table 
yet.  I had a very nice reunion and dinner with Mom, she was almost
surprised, she said she had a feeling, Bart and Penny and Robert and Teresa.
It's nice to be home and amongst family again.

*Some thoughts about how I was feeling when I flew over the mountains
of Utah.  When I first saw the mountains and realized where we were,
I was thrilled, when I started spotting the meeting houses, one in every 
neighborhood, I cried.  After dinner was over and we were driving back to
North Ogden, I had a really strong feeling and impression of,
"I want to go back, I can do this, I can go back to Canada and finish".

No comments:

Post a Comment