Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Poem

This poem was written by Sister Woodruff and I
would be honored to share it with my family and friends.

"Twas the night before Christmas and all through the zone
Not a creature was stirring, not even Elder Cone.
The stockings were hung by, "what? no chimney"-who cares
We've worn them for weeks and they needed to air.

The missionaires were snuggled up tight in their beds,
while visions of baptisms danced in their heads.
Sister Campbell in her toque and I in my cap,
had just sat down for a fast power nap.

The phone in my pocket started ringing like crazy,
I jumped up too fast and everything went hazy.
Away to the whiteboard I flew like a flash,
pulled open the curtains and fell with a crash.

As I picked myself up from a heap on the floor,
I turned my head north and glanced out the door.
Well-what should I see in the shimmering snow,
But Elder Eklund outside with a wrecked car in tow.

He's a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I thought for moment, "Could this be St. Nick?"
With less speed than salamanders, missionaries came
as he phoned them, emailed them and prodded them by name.

Now Elder Jacobs, now Elder Henrie, Sister Jankowski and Elder Larson,
on Elder Warner, on Elder Mahe, on Elder Keirnan and Elder Skousen.
I've waited 2 weeks to see klick reports due,
your cars will be parked, and you'll travel. . . by shoe.

And then in a twinkling my phone rang again
from the office this time from Elder Meldrum
It seems there's no money on allotment cards at all,
the gas funds have dwindled and there's no one to call.

Elder Woodruff is calling and he's all aglow
some elders have now carved their names in the snow.
The promise was made to repair it first thing,
when the snow melts away in the late part of spring.

And yet again my cell phone did chime
Sister Meldrum is calling and things are not fine.
It seems 5 new missionaires to come out next round,
have all changed their plans and are now homeward bound.

Sister Woodruff emailed me to share an update
4 units to open-all 4 will be late.
The trailer is nestled all snug in a shop,
a paint job is looming-oh when will this stop.

When I thought things were lower than salamander feet,
Sister Eklund called with great news, now this can't be beat!
It couldn't be possible and yet it is true,
our shipment of planners has finally come through.
(met with cheers and applause)

They were dropped at the office at the end of the day,
by an old homeless guy with a dog team and sleigh.
He was dressed in a parka and mukluks to boot
and his clothes were all tarnished with dirt, mud and soot.

We offered him cookies, hot chocolate and such,
he accepted gratefully with "THANKS VERY MUCH".
We offered him ear warmers, gloves and some rest,
and then of all things, we offered the best!

We asked if he knew of our Savior and King,
for whom all the carols at Christmas we sing.
He stood in the doorway to warm for awhile,
his countenance changed and he said with a smile.

"Your kindness has not gone unnoticed", he said,
as he turned and into the darkness he fled.
But we heard him call back as he slipped out of sight,
"Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night"

Made me cry every time I heard it,
I hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. So cute!!!! What talent! I love that I know these people in the poem-its that much better! :)

    ReplyDelete